Get Health Insurance in Germany
Most German residents (approx. 70 million people) are members of the government health system. If your gross salary is less than 64,350 Euros per year, or 5,362.50 Euros per month in 2022 then membership in the GKV is mandatory. The statutory health insurance is suitable not only for employees but also for students.
The medical benefits offered include in-patient (hospital) care as a ward patient with the doctor on duty at your nearest hospital, out-patient care with registered doctors (Kassenarzte) and basic dental care. Your nonworking dependents living at your address in Germany are presently insured at no additional cost and simply need to be registered with the same Krankenkasse as yourself as the paying member.
Are you looking for a health insurance fund that offers you more than the usual standard? When it comes to protecting your health, do you want a partner who puts your interests and needs first, right from the outset?
Then Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) may be exactly the right choice for you. We are a modern health service provider where strong benefits, expert advice and convenient service are closely linked.
As a public body, TK’s work is neither profit-oriented nor does it have an obligation towards shareholders. We see ourselves as representing our policyholders’ interests and our goal is to put their contributions to the most efficient use possible at all times.
How it works
Make sure you have health insurance cover from your very first day in Germany. For immediate health insurance membership, please do the following:
- Complete application further below.
- We will send you confirmation of your membership application by return. If necessary, provide us with any documents required.
- We forward everything to the TK.
- After checking your documents, you will receive the insurance confirmation from the Techniker Krankenkasse.
You can upload your passport photo online. For this you need a 10-digit number that you automatically get from TK once your membership application is received by TK.
Your advantages as a TK member
How do I benefit from changing to TK?
New people, a new language, a new culture and new tasks – when you come to Germany for the first time you will be flooded with many impressions. We will assist you with any questions about your health insurance to make your stay as easy as possible.
Changing your health insurance to TK offers you many advantages because we provide you with a comprehensive range of benefits that are tailored to your personal situation and your individual needs, such as
- free choice of specialist physicians and dentists – provided they are accredited statutory health insurance doctors
- treatment in licensed hospitals
- payment of recognised alternative medicine
- medical check-ups
- health insurance cover when traveling to other EU Member States
- TK-TravelMediCall – for instance, if you require information on vaccination
See our Leaflet [PDF, English].
Do you have any further questions about getting TK German public health insurance?
Our TK team will be glad to answer the questions you may have in person. You can reach us around the clock, 365 days a year.
How much does it cost
For employees: From 1 January 2015, there are new regulations in place governing contributions to statutory health insurance. Employers and employees pay an equal share towards the standard rate of premium of 14.6 per cent that applies throughout Germany.
Above and beyond this, each health insurance fund can charge an individual additional premium, which is paid by the policyholder alone. TK’s additional premium is set at only 0.7 per cent. As employee, you pay 8.2 per cent of your gross monthly income, while your employer pays 7.3 per cent of it.
The total contribution of 15.5 per cent is collected by your employer as part of payroll settlement. The contribution towards long-term care insurance is 3.05 per cent. People over the age of 23 who have no children pay an additional premium of 0.25 per cent.
For students: As a student, you are well secured for a favorable student contribution. Care insurance and health insurance 103,94 € per month; if you are older than 23 years 105,80 €.
TK Services & Contributions (PDF)
- TK Health Insurance Leaflet
- TK Services and benefits from A to Z
- TK Appointment Service
- TK Bonus Plan
- TK eHealth Card – the key to our services
- Leaflet Non-contributory dependants insurance
- TK Application Non-contributory Dependants Co-insurance
The application must be filled in completely. The picture for the insurance card must be on the application. Send the documents together to the following address:
Apply online: Get BARMER Health Insurance
Good health is a precious commodity. Preventive healthcare and access to the best available medical treatments are essential to our quality of life. That‘s why at BARMER, we take healthcare to the next level – by providing our members with award-winning services and a wide range of extra benefits.
BARMER is your gateway to one of the best healthcare systems in the world, with German hospitals and physicians offering the highest quality of care available. As a patient, you can even choose which doctor or specialist you wish to visit.
In Germany, health insurance, long-term care insurance, accident insurance, pension insurance and unemployment insurance are mandatory. Around 9 million members place their trust in BARMER. And there are many reasons for you to do the same.
How it works
As soon as you know that you will move to Germany we can start your process – already in your home country.
- Complete the BARMER application form while simply click through this link: FEATHER LINK
- BARMER will send you a notification that they received your application. Within 24 hours you will receive the membership confirmation from BARMER for VISA, your employer, and yourself. They immediately apply also for your social security number.
- BARMER will ask you for a photo for your electronic health insurance card. BARMER will upload the photo for you as a service.
Your advantages as a BARMER member
All kinds of challenges may arise in your professional life. With BARMER, you can rest assured that you‘re in safe hands with complete health cover. We work with the best medical professionals, and our healthcare and treatment plans are especially varied and flexible. Digital services, like the BARMER App, support you in everyday life, promote your health and improve your work/life balance.
How do I benefit from changing to TK?
- The best medical care and expertise, nationwide
- 100 percent reimbursement of the costs for travel vaccinations
- Naturopathic and alternative medicine
- 24/7 Teledoctor
- 7Mind – one year for free
- The BARMER App – manage all important communication from wherever you are
- Rest well with our sleeping aid
- Receive a payout of up to 100 euros or other attractive bonuses each year:
- Optional tariff – up to 100 euros cashback annually
- Lifelong learning – allowances for health-promoting courses up to 200 € a year
Do you have any further questions about getting BARMER German public health insurance?
Our BARMER team will be glad to answer the questions you may have in person. You can reach us around the clock, 365 days a year.
How much does it cost
For employees: The BARMER contribution rate for employees is 16.1 % in total. This allows our members to benefit from our consistently high-quality services and outstanding customer service. For all branches of social security in Germany, statutory contribution rates are determined by the legislature. These are calculated as a percentage of income in line with the principle of solidarity – higher earners pay higher contributions. But only up to a limit known as the contribution assessment ceiling. No additional contributions are collected from earnings above this threshold.
For students: For students there is a particularly cost-effective health insurance in Germany. Starting January 1st, 2021, the monthly contribution is 88.13 €. For long-term care insurance, students up to the age of 23 and students as of age 23 with children pay 22.94 euros per month. Students already age 23 but without children pay 24.82 € per month.
How do I pay for my insurance?
Employees: A certain percentage of your gross income will automatically be withdrawn.
Students: You can eather transfer the contribution yourself or you would like us to debit it from your account. It is always debited on the 15th of the following month.