Apply online: Get BARMER Health Insurance
Good health is a precious commodity. Preventive healthcare and access to the best available medical treatments are essential to our quality of life. That‘s why at BARMER, we take healthcare to the next level – by providing our members with award-winning services and a wide range of extra benefits.
BARMER is your gateway to one of the best healthcare systems in the world, with German hospitals and physicians offering the highest quality of care available. As a patient, you can even choose which doctor or specialist you wish to visit.
In Germany, health insurance, long-term care insurance, accident insurance, pension insurance and unemployment insurance are mandatory. Around 9 million members place their trust in BARMER. And there are many reasons for you to do the same.
How it works
As soon as you know that you will move to Germany we can start your process – already in your home country.
- Complete the BARMER application form while simply click through this link: FEATHER LINK
- BARMER will send you a notification that they received your application. Within 24 hours you will receive the membership confirmation from BARMER for VISA, your employer, and yourself. They immediately apply also for your social security number.
- BARMER will ask you for a photo for your electronic health insurance card. BARMER will upload the photo for you as a service.
Your advantages as a BARMER member
All kinds of challenges may arise in your professional life. With BARMER, you can rest assured that you‘re in safe hands with complete health cover. We work with the best medical professionals, and our healthcare and treatment plans are especially varied and flexible. Digital services, like the BARMER App, support you in everyday life, promote your health and improve your work/life balance.
How do I benefit from changing to TK?
- The best medical care and expertise, nationwide
- 100 percent reimbursement of the costs for travel vaccinations
- Naturopathic and alternative medicine
- 24/7 Teledoctor
- 7Mind – one year for free
- The BARMER App – manage all important communication from wherever you are
- Rest well with our sleeping aid
- Receive a payout of up to 100 euros or other attractive bonuses each year:
- Optional tariff – up to 100 euros cashback annually
- Lifelong learning – allowances for health-promoting courses up to 200 € a year
Do you have any further questions about getting BARMER German public health insurance?
Our BARMER team will be glad to answer the questions you may have in person. You can reach us around the clock, 365 days a year.
How much does it cost
For employees: The BARMER contribution rate for employees is 16.1 % in total. This allows our members to benefit from our consistently high-quality services and outstanding customer service. For all branches of social security in Germany, statutory contribution rates are determined by the legislature. These are calculated as a percentage of income in line with the principle of solidarity – higher earners pay higher contributions. But only up to a limit known as the contribution assessment ceiling. No additional contributions are collected from earnings above this threshold.
For students: For students there is a particularly cost-effective health insurance in Germany. Starting January 1st, 2023, the monthly contribution is 95,17 €. For long-term care insurance, students up to the age of 23 and students as of age 23 with children pay 24,77 euros per month. Students already age 23 but without children pay 27,61 € per month.
How do I pay for my insurance?
Employees: A certain percentage of your gross income will automatically be withdrawn.
Students: You can eather transfer the contribution yourself or you would like us to debit it from your account. It is always debited on the 15th of the following month.